Friday, February 1, 2013

Freezer Friday: Mongolian Beef

Here's the second installment of my weekly series Freezer Friday.  Go me!  I said it before, I love stir-frys.  They are so easy and convenient for me.  The recipe I'm sharing today is for a spicy Mongolian beef (not to be confused with that other non-spicy Mongolian beef you can get at some Chinese places).  Let's get started:

Cast of Characters
White onion, hoisin sauce (this is part of your spice), two bell peppers, matchstick carrots, red pepper flakes, sugar, garlic (MIA, but trust me, you need it), sesame oil, soy sauce, and a nice hunk of beef--you can use flank steak, but why would you?  Do yourself a favor and pick up a London broil.  It's much better and usually the same price as the flank steak.
Add all the wet stuff to a Ziploc bag--I split mine into two bags because it's better for me
Add red pepper to the bag--about this much, more or less depending on your desired level of spice

Chop the 2 peppers (I hate this cutting board so much OMG!) and put the pieces in the Ziploc bags.  I ended up swapping that smaller pepper for one about the same size as the other one.  I have food inconsistency weirdness. 
Add a couple handfuls of carrots to each Ziploc--about 1.5 cups
Someone showed me this onion cutting trick a couple years ago.  I love it!  Cut the top of the onion off and peel the first few layers back towards the roots of the onion.  Then hold onto the layers tail while you are slicing the onion.  Isn't that so perfect?  Try it!
See?  Garlic.  Muy importante.  You need about 4 cloves total.  Don't skimp on the garlic.  And evidence I actually wear my apron.  Awesomeness!
I cut my hunk of meat London broil into approximate halves before slicing.  This is because I make two batches.  Do what works for you, okay?
 
Slice the meat a bit thin.  The idea here is that the meat is thin enough to cook at the same speed as the onions and peppers.  You don't want it too thick or too thin.  Use your best judgement on this.  I think I slice my meat to 1/2" or so.  I also cut the longer strips of meat in half or thirds to keep some uniformity.

Throw the meat in the bag with the rest of the stuff, label and date it (as if it would last long enough to be questionable!), and give the bag a nice massage to mix the ingredients some.  Toss in freezer!
 
When you are ready to cook and serve this delicious meal, thaw everything out, dump the contents of the bag in a pan, and cook on medium for about 15-20 minutes.  Serve over brown rice, if that's your thing.

Mongolian Beef
Ingredients:
1.5 pounds London broil
2 bell peppers
1 medium white onion
3 cups matchstick carrots
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 T hoisin sauce
2 T sesame oil
4 t sugar
1 t red pepper flakes

Prepping Instructions:
Chop peppers and onions and mince garlic.  Slice beef into thin strips suitable for quick cooking.  Add all the ingredients to a Ziploc bag and allow to marinate a minimum of 8 hours, longer for a more developed flavor.  Alternatively, put the freezer-safe bag in the freezer for later consumption.

Cooking Instructions:
Allow contents of bag to thaw before cooking.  Empty the contents of the bag into a pan.  Cook on medium heat while stirring occasionally.  Serve over brown rice, if desired.  Eat.  Enjoy.

Click here for the printer friendly version of this recipe.  If anyone knows a better way to make things printer-friendly, I would love to hear about it.  Link it to me, or send me an email ellelittleblogATgmailDOTcom  I'm currently using the google sites system and I'm not in love with it at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment